My first commissioned piece of art. My first stab at a big tapestry. And I've got 6 weeks from start to finish! The size is 30"x45". I don't have a 'name' for the piece yet, but the theme is mother earth goddess. I've almost got the loom dressed. The goal for today is to finish tying on the warp and get the header woven.
My tapestry bobbins arrived today! I ordered a couple of different types to try them out - all nice woodens ones from Louet. There's a definite similarity between this type and the knitting yarn bobbins I've been using. Here's a detail of an area that I'm not sure about. I like how it looks, but can't decide if it's the effect I want.
I did the Upper Valley Fiber Fest in Troy, Ohio, with my friend Nancy McKellar of Fuzzarelly Fibers . Not a bad show; only the second year. Nancy did good, but I didn't do very well. I can never resist Nancy's angora/wool/slilk blended spinning fibers. Sly boots that she is, Nancy slipped a couple extras in my bag, a lovely golden yellow silk and a greeny/blue angora/merino blend. I didn't get a pic of the fibers beforehand, but it spun up beautifully. A vendor across the way from me, The Fiber Gourmet , had the most luscious hand dyed spinning fibers. This one caught my eye right away. But I couldn't resist buying two. And it spins like warm butta' !!!
Comments