Virgin Fire

Fired up the new gas reduction kiln yesterday for the first time. I'm a total newbie to being in the driver's seat, so I'm starting out with a cone 6 until I feel like I really know what I'm doing.

I ended up adjusting the size of the top vent hole to 6". The 3-1/2" hole just did not look big enough, so I called Olympic (which is what I should have done from the beginning). The tech guy I spoke with said the top vent hole should be 6" and the burner port holes should be 3". I decided to leave the burner port holes at 2-1/2" and just enlarged the top vent. I also marked 1/4" increments on both sides of the vent hole, so I would be able to gauge the damper for reduction.

Here's the fire schedule I attempted to use:
  • 200 degrees F / hour to 600 degrees
  • 250 degrees F / hour to 1100 degrees
  • Start reduction at cone 012
  • 300 degrees F / hour to 2232 degrees
  • Soak for 1 hour
Sounds simple enough. Here's what actually happened:
  • Fast rise to 1350 degrees in 2 hours until I could get the gas properly regulated.
  • 300 degrees F / hour rise to cone 012
  • Start reduction. I put the damper at 3"
  • Continue to check every 30 minutes to tweak and maintain 300 degree rise.
  • At 1970 degrees F, I'm kiln sitting to monitor rise up to temp. The last 30 minutes there was only had a 60 degree rise in temp, so I cut back on the reduction and moved the damper to 2.5".
  • At 2030 degrees F, I hear the sickening sound of a shelf falling from w/in the kiln. Looking thru two of the peeps, all I can see is the side of a kiln shelf pressed against the wall.
  • At 2050 degrees F, I decided to stop the fire rather than risk the possibility of making things worse.
Before things went awry, here's a shot of the kiln while in reduction. There was some good flame starting to come out of the top vent. I tried to get a good shot, but it was too bright outside.

Comments

the Square Peg said…
Amanda,
Just my thoughts...
The vent hole on mine is 4". That seems to work well for me. My flue stack is 4 rows of firebrick high (so its about 16" high.

I would definitely open up those burner holes to 3". I've found that that, plus about an inch of space between the actually burner and the underneath of the kiln works best for lots of primary air. Before I did that, I had a lot of stalling at about cone 6.

Not sure what your burners' recommended PSI is, but I am finding I get a more efficient firing if I keep mine at about 3.0 PSI (as opposed to the recommended 4.0) till at least 2100 f. then, especially in reduction, I can crank it up a little more if I need.

I like to time my firing so that I hit cone 6 after dark - I don't have an oxyprobe, so I can get some indication of atmosphere by watching the color of the flame coming out the flue and adjusting the damper accordingly.

Just my experience.
Can't wait to see your results!
hippieartchick said…
Thanks for the info - you've been great!
I have about an inch between the burners and the kiln, but it sounds like I definitely need to bump up the burner hole to 3" (plus some other playing around).
Hoping to give it another go tomorrow.
: )

Popular posts from this blog

Paint by Nature

say hello to Stella